Thursday, November 12, 2009

lest we forget...

On the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month we pause to remember those who lost their lives in wars past. We pause to remember the young men and women who answered the call to defend freedom and our country and sacrificed everything in doing so. Canadian soldiers have earned the reputation of being courageous, dedicated and tenacious in the face of some very horrific battles. I am the son of European immigrants, my parents were both born in the Netherlands during WWII. If the Allied Forces, of which the Canadian military played a large role, didn't join the fight and liberate what was then Holland then it is likely that my grandparents would never have been able emigrate to Canada. It it probable then that my parents would have never met and I dare say that I would not have been born. In essence you could say that I owe my very life to those soldiers who gave their lives during the liberation of Europe in WWII. Yesterday at 11am I took time to reflect on that. Maybe it's that I'm a little older and have learned to be thankful for things and maybe watching the repatriation processions on the highway of heroes has brought it closer to home too, but I couldn't help but feel a wave of emotion. I've never seen war or death, only in the movies, but I don't know if I could have done what they had to do. I'm proud to be Canadian and I'm proud of our Canadian Forces both past and present. I'm also proud to be a Christian. This Sunday at Hope Fellowship we're celebrating Communion in order to remember another sacrifice made on our behalf. God sent his son to take our place on a cross to battle sin and death for us... in reality I owe Him my life too. In Christ we have hope, hope of peace and victory over death. peace, m

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

well said brother, often in life we take things for granted. i 've done that in my own life too.thank you to the men and women who defend our freedom.